CUU Library Rules & Regulations
- For anyone who fails to return a borrowed item before or on the due date, a fine of 1,500 Uganda Shillings per extra will be charged.
a. For those who fail to return a library item after two (2) months even after being reminded, the total cost of the item will have to be paid by the defaulter.b. Failure to return the item after two (2) months without paying the cost of the item will lead to involvement of the Head of Finance for action and the will be regarded as a defaulter.
- All mobile phones and other electronics should be switched off or at least put in silent mode as the loud noise that comes from them disrupts the peace and tranquility in the library.
a. For failure to respond to warnings from library personnel to mute, silent or switch off one's devises, the defaulter's devise will be confiscated and will only be given back after he or she pays 5,000/-.
b. Persistence of this vice will call for suspension from using the library services for a week. A written apology from the culprit will be expected on return of the individual.
c. For very stubborn and emotional clients, the university security should be called upon to intervene.
d. Librarians are called upon to be extra vigilant and to exhibit control measures to discourage this vice.
- All types of noise making and disruptions of the peace of other users are punishable through warning, reprimand and suspension from library use depending on the nature, intensity, frequency and magnitude of the problem.
Librarians on duty shall ensure that this anomaly stops. The use of university security guards on duty can be called upon if stubborn noise making clients refuse to leave the library premises or its surroundings.
- Book mishandling, vandalism and abuse is forbidden.
a. Whoever is found guilty of this offense should be warned if the nature of the case is not big.
b. For big damages made on a book/ journal/ periodical among others, the culprit should replace the item in question by making payment of its price or purchasing a new item.
c. A fee of 5,000/- should be paid by the culprit per damaged book to cater for processing costs incurred by the university for repairs.
- No one is expected to use another person's Identity Card to access and use the library and its resources.
- All persons intending to use the library and its resources should register with the library. For CUU staff and students, their identity cards will act as their library cards. Individual's accounts will be created and they will be required to pass by the library to have their passwords verified.
- The librarians can recall any library item even before its return date.
- Neither eats nor drinks are allowed in the library.
- No bags are allowed in the library. Bags are left on the bags shelf at the library entrance.
- No library personnel is responsible for any losses or damages of library users' property. It is the responsibility of the library users to take care ad charge of their property while using the library and its resources.
- Removal or dismounting of library property like labels and computers is highly disregarded.