Cavendish University Uganda (CUU), which commenced operations in 2008 is a leading private University fully licensed by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE).
CUU is technologically driven with a user-friendly online learning platform and is one of the first Universities that was approved by NCHE to conduct open distance and eLearning.
The University seeks to recruit a highly motivated individual to lead its Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Reports to : Vice Chancellor
Direct Reports : None
Key working relationships
Internal: Careers & Employability Officer, Faculty Deans, Staff, Students
External: Employers, Professional Bodies and (Non) Government Agencies
Main purpose of the job
Provide strategic leadership for the Centre in developing programs that nurture innovation and entrepreneurship, create linkages and foster an environment that supports students and staff in ideation (design thinking), accelerating their ideas, innovations concepts and unleash their potential to become social and economic change makers/entrepreneurs through service and product innovations, as well as, leveraging academic programmes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with university management, teaching and no-teaching staff to develop innovation as a key pillar of the university’s vision and values.
- Create a strategy for innovation for the university in the areas of ideation, academic Programme support, enterprise and product development.
- Engage in the university strategic planning to ensure innovation is integral to all planning processes.
- Provide high level strategic and operational support for the Incubation hub, including identifying and facilitating opportunities for staff and students to be trained in ideation, solving problems and identifying grant opportunities, as well as, building the entrepreneurial eco system at CUU.
- Provide administrative leadership and oversight of special projects, direct activities, and facilitate key initiatives from inception to execution that involve stakeholders throughout the University.
- Responsible for creating opportunities and provide resources for staff and students interested in inventing and commercializing their ideas.
- Build long term relationships and create strategic alliances with a variety of internal and external stakeholders such as technology business incubators, accelerators, economic development organizations/ corporate organizations, government agencies and industry.
- Collaborate with the School of Graduate and Research studies in accelerating commercialization of research outcomes.
- Develop, track and analyze metrics relevant to CUU’s success in innovation commercialization and entrepreneurship.
- Develop a network for training, coaching and mentoring within the incubation hub.
- Lead, develop and motivate performance of human resources attached to the Centre
- Holder of a Master’s Degree in a relevant Entrepreneurship and New Ventures Management, or Science and Technology from a recognized University. PHD is desirable
- At least 5 years’ post qualification experience in roles requiring innovative, creative, and/or entrepreneurial skills.
- Track record of success in creative and innovative ventures.
- Past experience in a complex or customer facing environment.
- Demonstrated success in project management in University or busy commercial environment
- Experience with fundraising, grant writing, budget development and fund management
- Ability to interact professionally and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and relationship management with the ability to navigate complex internal and external stakeholders and partnerships.
- A demonstrable role model that who exhibits strong and effective people leadership skills, among others, through emotional maturity, growth mindset, constructive feedback, mentoring and coaching.
How to apply:
Suitable and qualified applicants should submit an application, updated CV, copies of relevant academic documents to the Human Resource Office Cavendish University Uganda Plot 1469 Ggaba Road or email to email@example.com not later than 22nd December 2021.
Cavendish University Uganda is an Equal Opportunity Employer